Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve: Her name is Christina

Christina Rossetti

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, Love Divine,
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and Angels gave the sign.

Worship we the Godhead,
Love Incarnate, Love Divine,
Worship we our Jesus,
But wherewith for sacred sign?

Love shall be our token,
Love shall be yours and love be mine,
Love to God and all men,
Love for plea and gift and sign.


I'd planned to write a reflection for each day of Advent this year, but it seems that life has intervened, and writing was not to be. I've been without internet service since last week, and it's provided a lovely respite from the world except as it presents itself in flesh and blood humans. I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would, except for all the drafts I've got for Advent reflections that will patiently wait for me to play with them next Advent.
Last night I sang a bunch of tunes, including Britten's Hymn to the Virgin, tomorrow morning I'll play trumpet and sing the Lauridsen O magnum Mysterium, and tonight I'll sing a ton of stuff, including this little lovely by Christina Rossetti.

It makes me smile every time, and especially so this year, with three Christinas in my life to show me love as token over and again. Christina No. 1 - priest, artist, mom, friend of many years, happily okay after winning a round with breast cancer. Christina No. 2, also artist and mom, kindly cooking dinner with Charlotte (5 and a half) for those of us who need to bring home the bacon by working this holiday; and the newest, Christina No. 3 - kind enough to welcome, feed, and house me while I was on the road a couple of weeks ago. You have all blessed me with your sweetness even in the midst of your crazy busy lives.

We don't have to look very far for sacred signs, they're all around.


No comments:

Post a Comment